Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Another Day and A New Me In The Making

Today was just an average day when it came to food, but when it came to thoughts, it was like no other. I am officially inspired. Yes, it's official. And it's here to stay.

For one, I have gone two days on the low-sugar lifestyle, and I am loving it. I no longer feel like a slave to my food. Without the added, unnecessary sugar-laden foods such as fudgesicles and low fat ice cream hanging out in the freezer, I no longer have to worry about failing. One fudgesicle would always lead to another ("it's just one more point," I would tell myself), which would lead to another, or perhaps a bowl of low fat ice cream. All of these low point foods add up, and the sugar is what kept me going back for more... and more.

But not today. Today is a new day and the new frame of mind which I've adopted (and have officially claimed as my own), is looking at food in a whole new light. Clean eating is what I'm striving for. I am no longer going to be a slave to sugar, just as I am no longer in the tight grip of gluten. Eight months ago I gave up gluten, just like that. Gone. I said good-bye to one of my best friends, bread, because although it provided me with comfort throughout the years, this "best friend" was the back-stabbing kind and also contributed to my depression. So along with the gluten went the unfounded sorrows that came with it. And now it's time to dig a grave and bury my sugar-filled past, thank it for what it has taught me about who I want to become, and bid it farewell.

Oh, and you know, at holidays, birthdays and such, I will go visit its gravesite and have a piece of pie or cake in its memory. But just one, and then I'll peacefully walk away proud of how far I've come.

No comments:

Post a Comment